Wednesday, October 6, 2010

The Blog Experiment

I'm considering starting another blog that will be somewhat of an experiment. I'm tired of hearing people complain how expensive it is to eat healthy (although I sort of agree, however, I think it's more of an issue of people not liking healthy food as much as junk food). So I want to keep a blog documenting my attempt to eat healthy on an average family's budget. I also want it to include tips on how other can do the same thing, where to shop, nutritional facts, etc.

After looking up the nutrition facts of one of my favorite fast food restaurants (I'd highly recommend that!) I was appalled at what I'd been eating! I knew it wasn't healthy, but I thought it would be the lesser of all the fast food evils. I was dead wrong! It really hit me at how intentionally ignorant I am about some food & nutrition aspects. I consider myself more educated than the average bear about this stuff, but I still choose to turn a blind eye to some things.

I want to help take away the ignorance of nutrition & mystery of eating healthy from people who really want it.

Sooooo, why am I talking about this here you ask? I want to find out what the average family of 4 spends on meals/groceries a week. We're a family of 2.25 & I know if I go off of what we do it won't apply to many out there with older kids. So please comment on this post & tell me what you think. Either your personal grocery/meal budget, if you're comfortable with that, or what you've "heard" the amount to be, etc. Thanks!!

2 comments:

  1. We spend about $100 week. But I have heard that most families of 4 spend more like
    $200 a week. I'd love to hear what you find out.Laura M.

    ReplyDelete
  2. First Off...Abby your daughter is adorable. I think it is admirable wanting to feed your family healthy foods and the way that you make all of Eve's foods for so cheap...that is inspirational..I would love some of those secrets! On average we have a 4 person family and spend about $150 a week on food attempting to buy organic, unprocessed foods. And we drink organic coconut milk ($4) And buy grain feed free roaming hen eggs($5). Try to stay away from the hormone induced stuff and buy whole grains like brown rice, flax seed multigrain oatmeal and stuff like that.

    ReplyDelete